Using existing translations

Exchanges about RC Localize
MBlank

Using existing translations

Post by MBlank » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am

Hello,
I am looking for a new Translation tool for our .rc files. I checked RC Localize and found it very helpful. It is very good that I can merge existing localized files. So I can reuse our existing translations. But I did not find out how I can reuse an existing Translation for another .rc file. So for example I have a Project consisting of three programs. These have of course three .rc files: Program1.rc, Program2.rc and Program3.rc. Some of the texts in the .rc files are the same. I have already translated Program1.rc and Program2.rc. How can I manage that the already translated texts are also used in Program3.rc. So for example I do not have to translate File - Open - Save - .... again and again.

Thanks
Martin

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Using existing translations

Post by mootools » Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am

Hello Martin,

If Program1.rc, Program2.rc and Program3.rc shares the same ID for the same text I guess that the Merge Resource to Current Resource can does the trick.
  • Select a resource in your project (ie Program1.rc) then use Merge Resource to Current.... For example select Program2.rc if you want to keep Program2.rc new translation into Program1.rc
  • You have different option. You want to import Program2.rc into Program1.rc, so select Confirm text to update, or Replace existing text if you want to import all automatically.
  • Any items in the project shared by both Program1.rc and Program2.rc are updated.
Did you try that feature?
Does it match what you need?

Manuel

MBlank

Post by MBlank » Thu May 22, 2014 9:16 am

Thank you for the answer, I did not try this, but there are not same ID for same text, often it is text in Dialog box which has IDSTATIC.
But same Name like "File name" or "Customer Name" which should be translated always with same text.

mootools
Site Admin

Post by mootools » Thu May 22, 2014 11:08 am

A very good practice that solve a lot of problem is to use a singular ID and forget IDSTATIC which is a bad idea in the translation context.
Here we use IDSTATIC1, IDSTATIC2... Doing that we help RC Localize we remove the possible ambiguities to match a given item with its corresponding item in another language.

Another good idea is to share same item names between your different rc file. Doing that reuse translation will be very easy.

Manuel