Other modifications than polygon reduction

Exchanges about Polygon Cruncher
md.stage

Other modifications than polygon reduction

Post by md.stage » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 am

Hello,

I have a question, I'm not sure that you are allowed to answer, but still, I try !

I have to import in PaperVision3D (flex 3D rendering engine) some 3D meshes exported from 3DsMax. This operation works perfectly only when they are exported after beeing "transformed" by Polygon Cruncher.

The export format is the collada, a xml format, so by searching in the file exported I have noticed that the difference between a file not changed by Polygon Cruncher and one changed, is in the tag where it's describe how the model and the texture have to be apply. I'm not sure of that, but it seems to change from dynamic (not changed) and static (changed). (technically, in the tag <library_visual_scenes>, the "sub tag" change from <instance_controller> to <instance_geometry>)

So maybe, as my question does not concern the main advantage of Polygon Cruncher, reduce the number of polygon, I have a chance to have a answer :)

What Polygon Cruncher modify in 3dsMax in the spatial representation of the model ?

If you can answer it will be very helpful for me, and if you definitely cannot, I apologize for the question !

Martin

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Other modifications than polygon reduction

Post by mootools » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Hello,

I know nothing about collada. But Polygon Cruncher may changes the nature of your meshes.

For example if you are optimizing a 3DS Max sphere, the mesh status changes after optimization.
The object had the sphere type before optimization and it have the editable mesh type (Polygonal object) after optimization.

You may also have some modifier being removed depending on wether you check the Apply Modifier or not before optimization.

If you are already using Editable meshes without modifier, I guess the exportation results should be the same before and after optimization.

I hope this help you,
Manuel

md.stage

Post by md.stage » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:32 pm

I answers to myself :)

By searching around, I have found that the same collada result's is build by transform the 3DsMax object in "editable mesh". (right click on the model, "convert to", "convert to editable mesh").

But I'm not sure that it's what Polygon Cruncher do.

mootools
Site Admin

Post by mootools » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:44 pm

Yes this is what Polygon Cruncher does also.
It transform the object to "Editable Mesh" when performing the optimization.
The result is a polygonal mesh.

This means that you could use your Polygon Cruncher results in Collada, as collada is able to handle Editable mesh.

Yours,
Manuel