Can't save max file after using Cruncher [Unicode folder]

Exchanges about Polygon Cruncher
leoncafe

Can't save max file after using Cruncher [Unicode folder]

Post by leoncafe » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:56 am

Hi,

I used polygoncruncher in 7day-trial demo in Max9. After use that, I just purchased 3copy of polygoncruncher for my work.

After installing polygoncruncher to 3dsmax9, I can't save any max file.

The message is "File *.max is possibly corrupt. Would you like to try to resave?"

When I click resave button, also displayed same attention message.

Help me to do save

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Can not save any max file after installing polygoncruncher

Post by mootools » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 am

Hello,

This is a really strange issue and this is the first time someone report this side effect.
We have to ensure that the problem is really due to Polygon Cruncher :?: :?:.

Please could you answer to the following question:

Did you try to uninstall Polygon Cruncher?
If no, please try to uninstall it and try to save a file from max. Does it work again?

If you confirm that the save feature does not work on yoru system when Polygon Cruncher is setup:
- Does the message 'file *.max is possibly corrupt' appears even if you do not use Polygon Cruncher?
- Does the message appears only after Polygon Cruncher has been used on your scene?

What is the language of your 3DS Max version? Is it an unicode version?

Thanks you for these answers, this will help to understand what's really occuring.

Manuel

leoncafe

Post by leoncafe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:36 am

mootools wrote:Hello,

This is a really strange issue and this is the first time someone report this side effect.
We have to ensure that the problem is really due to Polygon Cruncher :?: :?:.

Please could you answer to the following question:

Did you try to uninstall Polygon Cruncher?
If no, please try to uninstall it and try to save a file from max. Does it work again?

If you confirm that the save feature does not work on yoru system when Polygon Cruncher is setup:
- Does the message 'file *.max is possibly corrupt' appears even if you do not use Polygon Cruncher?
- Does the message appears only after Polygon Cruncher has been used on your scene?

What is the language of your 3DS Max version? Is it an unicode version?

Thanks you for these answers, this will help to understand what's really occuring.

Manuel

Hi,
I did uninstall and reinstall, but it was same problem. :shock:
Finally I found the problem. That is about unicode. I use in WindowsXP Korean version. So I made a folder in korean. If I used a max file in Korean folder, It displayed same attention messages. But strange things is without using Polygon Cruncher that is no problem as always I do same work (I can save korean.max files in Korean folder also load). The Message apperars only after Polygon Cruncher has been used.
Thanks~

mootools
Site Admin

Post by mootools » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:54 am

Hello,
Finally I found the problem. That is about unicode. I use in WindowsXP Korean version.
Thanks for this precision.
Polygon Cruncher is not an Unicode application. If you try to save a file in a folder which have an unicode name, this will fails (ie, using the batch module).

Note: an Unicode name is a name which includes non ASCII characters.
But strange things is without using Polygon Cruncher that is no problem as always I do same work (I can save korean.max files in Korean folder also load). The Message apperars only after Polygon Cruncher has been used.
I am not sure to clearly understand what you said.
If I understand, the message appears after you use Polygon Cruncher.
Before you can use the 3DS Max load and save features even on Korean folder name.

Anyway, the workaround to this problem is to store 3DS Max files in folders which name are ASCII compliant.

I'll try to reproduce this bug, creating an Unicode folder on my computer.

Anyway thanks for this report.
Manuel