How does one use this app?

Exchanges about Polygon Cruncher
msmith40

How does one use this app?

Post by msmith40 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 am

I'd downloaded/installed the 7-day free trial version, for use with 3DsMax9. Afterwards I got a weird error message whenever I attempted to open Max (Max would not open). Everything worked fine after I installed the Max serv ice packs abnd re-booted.

Exactly does one use this app?

I understand the concept behind it, but how does one use it?
I selected a 3-D object and applied the plug-in (with 3D Max9), and the little progress window states the XXX number of faces has now been reduced. However, the 3-D objects properties show no such reduction.

And applying the optimizer makes the file almost 3 times bigger...............which makes no sense.

I'm obviously doing something wrong and would greatly appreciate some help.....or a tutorial.

Thanks!

mootools
Site Admin

Re: How does one use this app?

Post by mootools » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:45 am

msmith40 wrote:I'd downloaded/installed the 7-day free trial version, for use with 3DsMax9. Afterwards I got a weird error message whenever I attempted to open Max (Max would not open). Everything worked fine after I installed the Max serv ice packs abnd re-booted.
This behavior sounds very strange. Polygon Cruncher has many users and this is the first time someone reports such problem.
Please, what is your OS? Is it a 32 bits or a 64 bits system?
Actually Polygon Cruncher only run under 3DS Max 9 on a 32 bits OS.
The 64 bits version is planned for 2007, third quarter.

The setup only performs traditional things and does not modify in any way the 3DS Max installation.
It just adds a plugin in the stdplugs folder and adds a Polygon Cruncher in the Program files folder.
Exactly does one use this app?

I understand the concept behind it, but how does one use it?
I selected a 3-D object and applied the plug-in (with 3D Max9), and the little progress window states the XXX number of faces has now been reduced. However, the 3-D objects properties show no such reduction.

And applying the optimizer makes the file almost 3 times bigger...............which makes no sense.

I'm obviously doing something wrong and would greatly appreciate some help.....or a tutorial.

Thanks!
Looking at the file size does not means anything. The goal of Polygon Cruncher is not reducing the size of file, but the number of polygons in your scene. Reducing the polygon number leads in less memory consumption and a faster rendering.
So, you have to look at the number of faces and points of your meshes before and after the optimization.

Imagine you are optimizing a 3DS Max sphere. When 3DS Max saves the file it stores something like the x, y, z center, the radius and the segment number.
The file is really concise.
But internally, when you are running 3DS Max and render or modify the sphere, it is converted to a polygonal mesh (ie. 200 000 polygons).

I hope this explanation is clear. I'll be pleased to give you more precision if you need.

Manuel