Rigged Characters and PCruncher

Exchanges about Polygon Cruncher
Testing1238

Rigged Characters and PCruncher

Post by Testing1238 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:37 am

Is it possible to do poly cruncher and keep a skinned modifier on a character, so that it reduces the poly's but does not break the rigging?

Thanks,

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Rigged Characters and PCruncher

Post by mootools » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 am

Hello,

I guess you are using 3ds Max.
After optimizing a mesh with Polygon Cruncher you are still able to manipulate your mesh.
Animation is kept as well as bones.

Thanks,
Manuel

EttienNavar

Post by EttienNavar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 am

Hello There,

Our team is really interesting in user Poligon Cruncher for Max but we have the same problem that the user who start these topic. For our evaluation we are using the last version of Poligon Cruncher of your web and 3dMax 2010 32-Bits

I explain my example

My scene only have a Editable mesh with Skin and Turbo Smooth modifiers and the Biped asociated

I Run Poligon Cruncher addon with the Editable Mesh selected, Mark keep UV coordinates. It is posible to see that the option Play Animation is available but if i check it the animation doen't run

I click optimize button fix the poligons to 3K (the original mesh has 13K)

I click valid and the poligon cruncher close and i am back in 3dMax.

In that situation i can see that the Scene has only 3k poligons but the Editable mesh doesn't have any modifier losing my skin and needing to do the rigging again

Any solution posible? Am i doing anything wrong?

Thanks for your time.

Ettien

P.D: Excuse me for my horrible English, my main language is Spanish. Thanks Again

MRipper

Post by MRipper » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:27 am

To be honest, that you are losing the Rigging you have done makes perfect sense!

To Rig(Skin) a Mesh, you need Vertices, right? What happens when you convert High-Poly to Low-Poly? You loose some vertices. Thus, even if it did try to save the Rigging, it wouldn't be that good. No matter what, you'd have to do it all over.

But consider this; It takes a lot more time to make a High-Poly Model to Low-Poly manually than re-rigging a Mesh. :D

About the Animation, that's for Mootols Support to answer.