Polygons limit?

Exchanges about Polygon Cruncher
vankor

Polygons limit?

Post by vankor » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi,
I'd downloaded free trial version of 3d Photo Browser and use PolygonCruncher for ~2000000 faces model from Zbrush ...and browser crush with message "Out of memory" . But thus remains to free memory ~700mb! This restriction of the program on quantity of poly-faces,memory or bug?
PS. my system Windows XP, memory 2048mb

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Polygons limit?

Post by mootools » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:05 am

Hello,

The theorical limit for polygon optimization is 2^32 polygons (4294967296). But theory and practice are ennemies!
I see that in some case the Windows memory allocator refuses to give more memory to the application (even if some remains free). This leads in a out of memory window.

I have to dig the problem and find a workaround.

For the moment I suggest you to open Polygon Cruncher directly from the main window:

1 Select the file to optimize
2 use the Tools > 3D > Polygon Cruncher command.

Note:
The previous way of doing is better than:

1 Double click on the file to optimize: a 3D Viewer is openened
2 Select Tools > Polygon Cruncher from the 3D Viewer : Polygon Cruncher is opened.

In this case the scene is loaded 2 times in the memory: a first time for the 3D viewer, and a second time for Polygon Cruncher.

I hope this help,
Manuel

vito-san

Post by vito-san » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:55 pm

I was wondering where these options are...
>> use the Tools > 3D > Polygon Cruncher command.

within MAX?
vito

mootools
Site Admin

Post by mootools » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Yes, I made a mistake.

The command Tools > 3D > Polygon Cruncher refers to Polygon Cruncher for 3D Browser.
It does not apply to Polygon Cruncher for 3DS Max.

For limiting the memory needed for running Polygon Cruncher on 3DS Max, you may use the Batch module.
This avoid opening a viewer which requires a large amount of memory on big scene.

Manuel