Morph targets and polygon cruncher

Exchanges about Polygon Cruncher
Fov3d

Morph targets and polygon cruncher

Post by Fov3d » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 am

Hello, thank you for this fantastic tool !
I would like to know if there is a way to reduce points on several morph targets at once using instanced polygon cruncher stacks on each of them.
Say I have a high poly object with functionnal morph targets and I want to reduce the geometry of the whole thing without having to redo the morphs.
My thoughts were that the "protect points" option would allow this but still, the points numbering change and the morphs won't work.
I am using PC with 3ds max.
Thanks, Alan

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Morph targets and polygon cruncher

Post by mootools » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 am

Hello!

Yes the protect point might help as this guarantee that some selected point are kept away from optimization.
But my feeling is that the morphs should be created after applying the Polygon Cruncher modifier.
Otherwise the order of the vertices changed and the morphs also.

If you have a simple morph sample to share that could help me to think to a solution for the next release.

Thanks!
Manuel

Fov3d

Re: Morph targets and polygon cruncher

Post by Fov3d » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am

Hello Manuel,

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately the hi definition source morphs I am working on already exist and it is impossible to redo them completely in low res (about 20 human face expressions). But I found a turnaround using skin wrap in 3ds max : I drive the deformation of a polycrunched neutral face wrapped on the hi resolution morphing face. This way I can re-create the morphs as low polys with some success.
But certainly it would be a great evolution for polygon cruncher if you could lower the point count of morph targets at once (after all the vertices with morph targets are just moving in position).
Thanks again !
Alain.