Can't see textures

Exchanges about 3DBrowser
mkultra

Can't see textures

Post by mkultra » Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Which texture formats does PhotoBrowser support (and which 3D formats can be shown fully textured)?

I've added my texture folders, but Photobrowser doesnt show the models textured. I've tried .obj and .3ds files. I have Texturing turned on in the program, i've tried ticking and unticking low-res textures and all other functions for textures, smoothing etc. I've tried batch converting all textures to jpg's and png's (original textures are .tga), still no go. Spent about an hour now trying to get it to work, it just doesnt seem to be able to show textures other than on the sample models.

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Can't see textures

Post by mootools » Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 am

Hello,

What is the file format you are trying to browse?

Normally it fully support textures for 3D formats. It also recognizes most of bitmap formats.
If your textures are not displayed, this is probably because it cannot be found (may be the mesh use a relative path with cannot be reached).

You can have a look and check if something is found.
  • Open a simple textured mesh.
  • Double click on the mesh
  • Select material tab
  • Double Click on one material that should have a texture file
A dialog open that shows the texture. If there is a file associated to the texture, the name is displayed left, and the image is shown right.
If no name appears: the texture is not read.
If a name appears but no image: the image can't be found. This means the path is relative for example.

You can try to add some texture path using Edit > Preferences > Textures tab.

I hope this help.
Please let me know what kind of 3d format you are using. That could also help.

Yours,
Manuel

mkultra

Post by mkultra » Fri May 11, 2012 10:41 am

Hi,

Like i wrote, i have tried those two 3D formats:

.obj
.3ds

I've tried these texture formats:

png
tga
jpg

I have set the correct directories and included sub-directories in 3D PhotoBrowser (latest version, trial).

I searched my harddrive for all .obj files, i have many hundreds.. out of maybe 300 or so only 5-10 showed thumbnails fully textured. I looked in the .mtl file for the .obj's that didnt show any textures and I noticed most of them points to a specific place, for example d:\textures\leaves.tga. I have this exact folder included (d:\textures), but Photobrowser can't find that file anyways (the .tga file is there).

.mtl of a file that doesnt show textures:

Code: Select all

newmtl pmat1
Kd 0.700000 0.700000 0.700000
newmtl pmat2
Kd 0.700000 0.700000 0.700000
map_Kd D:\textures/leaves.tga
changing the last part to "map_Kd leaves.tga" does not fix it, i dont think the error is in the .mtl

And yes i've done like you explained, and the texture only shows a "-" for those materials. Though they are fully textured in my 3D program (blender) so they do have textures, but Photobrowser isnt very good at finding them even when pointed exactly where to look for them (i've set paths to them like you explained).

mootools
Site Admin

Post by mootools » Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks for all these precision. Sorry I didn't notice that was for 3ds and obj.

Could you send us an obj file with its associated mtl file as well as a 3ds file at our tech support email
I guess a problem can come from the / and \ mix in the name D:\textures/leaves.tga

Anyway if you only set leaves.tga, and enter an appropriate the path in Edit > Preferences > Textures that should solve the problem.

When it does not find a texture, the viewer has different strategy to locate it:
  • Look the path itself
  • Look in the folder of the scene
  • Look in the folder entered in the preferences texture list
  • Try a relative path which is a mix of the scene path and the scene file
But may be this strategy could be completed. Your files can help to achieve this!

Thanks for your help and feedback
Manuel