Temporarily disable catalog function?

Exchanges about 3DBrowser
chrisd

Temporarily disable catalog function?

Post by chrisd » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Is there a way to temporarily disable the catalog function?

I see it is possible to disable it in the preferences, but that also requires a restart of windows, which is rather inconvenient.

It appears the catalog building interferes with the speed of opening files. I would like to have the ability to open files faster. I understand that once the catalog is built, there won't be any additional processing going on so files will open at normal speed again.

Therefore, I think that adding this function would be useful to most users who have directories with many large files.

mootools
Site Admin

Re: Temporarily disable catalog function?

Post by mootools » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am

Hi,

You are true, this is not possible.

When you browse a directory for a first time, 3DBrowser builds thumbnails for its content.
If you open in the same time a large 3D file, there is two different threads: one which is computing the thumbnail, the other which is reading and displaying the file. It can results in a loss of reactivity.

This loss of reactivity is reduced if you have a computer with several cores.

Anyway, once thumbnails have been computed, the "problem" disapears.

May be we should add an option that prevent thumbnail computation for large file, but the option should be disable by default.
Such option is already used when computing thumbnails for Windows Explorer. If file is large, thumbnails computation is not performed.

Manuel

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I have an i7 processor with 6 cores (12 with hyperthreading)

Are fewer cores actually faster?

mootools
Site Admin

Post by mootools » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Are fewer cores actually faster?
No! you have a F1.
I will have a look on the next release to see why the loss of reactivity is so important.
Normally you have one core which is making a thumbnail and the other which is reading the file to show it to you, while 4 cores are sleeping.
Should look if there is a way to transfer in a better way the charge among the cores...

Manuel